Re: TODO: GRANT/REVOKE: Allow column-level privileges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TODO: GRANT/REVOKE: Allow column-level privileges
Date
List pgsql-hackers
kevin brintnall <kbrint@rufus.net> writes:
>  * add OID column to pg_attribute.  This permits dependencies to be
>    registered correctly in pg_shdepend.

No, no ... the precedent in pg_depend is that columns are represented as
the table's OID plus a column number.  Please don't invent some random
other notation for a column, especially not one that is so expensive to
relate to the parent table.  Add a subobject ID to pg_shdepend instead.

> STILL LEFT TO DO:

My recollection is that there's quite some deal of code that assumes
pg_attribute rows are fixed-width.  You will have some issues there.
It's possible though that none of that code needs to access privileges,
in which case you'd be OK just dropping off the ACL data from the
in-memory copies of pg_attribute rows.  Another possible solution is the
pg_attrdef model, ie, keep the ACLs somewhere else.