Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Date
Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't afraid about crashing. Simply I have not idea what sql
> sprintf's behave in case:

> SELECT sprintf('some %s', 10)

That one I don't think is hard --- coerce the input type to text and
print the string.

> SELECT sprintf('some %d', 10::mycustomtype)

For the formats that presume an integer or float input in C, perhaps
we could coerce to numeric (failing if that fails) and then print
appropriately.  Or maybe int or float8 would be more appropriate
conversion targets.