Re: v3 protocol & string encoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: v3 protocol & string encoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
> The encoding of user & database names was my main concern. If they can
> only be 7-bit ASCII in practice, that's easy..

Well, you can *try* using other encodings, but there are enough known
problems that I don't think it will work pleasantly unless client and
server encodings are the same all the time.

>>> 2) At what point in the stream does a client_encoding change take effect
>>> -- immediately after the corresponding ParameterStatus message, or at
>>> some other point?
>>
>> ParameterStatus is sent when the change is made.

> Are the strings in the ParameterStatus encoded with the old or new
> client_encoding?

Okay, make that "sent just after the change is made".  So it looks like
you should receive a string in the new encoding.  I can't offhand think
of a way to test this though --- are any of the reported settings
interesting from an encoding standpoint?

> Is it safe to assume that 7-bit ASCII
> is always encoded unchanged regardless of the encoding in use?

Hm.  This is true for all the "backend-safe" encodings but I believe
not for all the supported client encodings.  Tatsuo might have more of
a clue than me about likely failure cases.