String concat issues in 8.3.1 (8.3.1 bug?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From kevin kempter
Subject String concat issues in 8.3.1 (8.3.1 bug?)
Date
Re: String concat issues in 8.3.1 (8.3.1 bug?)  ("A. Kretschmer" <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a table as follows:

\d test_dim
                      Table "public.test_dim"
      Column      |            Type             |       Modifiers
-----------------+-----------------------------+------------------------
  customer_srcid  | bigint                      | not null
  segment_srcid      | bigint                      | not null
  show_name       | character varying(500)      | not null
  create_dt       | timestamp without time zone | not null default now()

I have this table in a db on an 8.2.6 cluster and in another db on an
8.3.1 cluster.

In both clusters I can do the following:

# select customer_srcid,  segment_srcid from test_dim;
  customer_srcid | segment_srcid
----------------+---------------
               1 |             1
               1 |             2
               1 |             3
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |             1
               1 |             2
               1 |             3
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |             1
               1 |             2
               1 |             3
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |             1
               1 |             2
               1 |             3
               1 |
               1 |
               1 |
(24 rows)

In version 8.2.6 I can do this:

# select customer_srcid || segment_srcid from test_dim;
  ?column?
----------
  11
  12
  13

  11
  12
  13

  11
  12
  13

  11
  12
  13

(24 rows)

However in the 8.3.1 cluster I get this (Both clusters have the same
data set - via a pg_dump):

# select customer_srcid || segment_srcid from test_dim;
ERROR:  operator does not exist: bigint || bigint
LINE 1: select customer_srcid || segment_srcid from sl_segment_dim;
                               ^
HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You
might need to add explicit type casts.

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

/Kevin