Re: [HACKERS] Shouldn't duplicate addition to publication be a no-op? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Shouldn't duplicate addition to publication be a no-op?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/04/15 8:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 4/13/17 06:23, Amit Langote wrote:
>> create table bar (a int);
>> create publication mypub for table bar;
>> alter publication mypub add table bar;
>> ERROR:  relation "bar" is already member of publication "mypub"
>>
>> 2nd command should be a no-op, IMHO.
>
> We generally require a IF NOT EXISTS in those situations.

Hmm, okay.  So I guess the grammar support will be added later.

By the way, Petr said in the other thread that it could be made a no-op
(presumably without requiring IF NOT EXISTS) on the grounds that
membership of table in publication is "soft object" or "property" rather
than real object.

Thanks,
Amit