Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tels
Subject Re: 2018-03 Commitfest Summary (Andres #1)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Moin,

On Fri, March 2, 2018 2:48 pm, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-03-02 11:06:12 +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> A lot of patches do not even get a review: no immediate interest or more
>> often no ressources currently available, patch stays put, I'm fine with
>> that.
>
> Well, even if that's the case that's not free of cost to transport them
> from fest to fest. Going through them continually isn't free. At some
> point we just gotta decide it's an undesirable feature.

Erm, I don't think that from A: "There are not enough reviewer capacities"
necessarily follows B: "This is an undesirable feature."

That PG doesn't have enough reviewers doesn't mean users/authors want or
need features - it just means there are not enough people who are capable
of doing a review, or they haven't been found yet, or worse, turned away
by the current process.

Sure, sometimes a lack of interest just means a lack of interest - but not
every user of PG reads or follows the -hackers list or does (or can) even
contribute to PG.

And, the most strongest point to me is: Somebody showed soo much interest
they got up and wrote a patch. Even if nobody reviewed it, that is already
a high hurdle cleared, isn't it?

>> Now, some happy patches actually get reviews and are switched to ready,
>> which shows that somebody saw enough interest in them to spend some time
>> improve them.
>>
>> If committers ditch these reviewed patches on weak ground (eg "I do not
>> need
>> this feature so nobody should need it"), it is both in contradiction
>> with
>> the fact that someone took the time to review it, and is highly
>> demotivating
>> for people who do participate to the reviewing process and contribute to
>> hopefully improve these patches, because the reviewing time just goes to
>> the
>> drain in the end even when the patch is okay.
>
> The consequence of this appears to be that we should integrate
> everything that anybody decided worthy enough to review.

And likewise, I don't think the reverse follows, either.

[snipabit]
>> So for me killing ready patches in the end of the process and on weak
>> ground
>> can only make the process worse. The project is shooting itself in the
>> foot,
>> and you cannot complain later that there is not enough reviewers.

That would also be my opinion.

> How would you want it to work otherwise? Merge everything that somebody
> found review worthy? Have everything immediately reviewed by committers?
> Neither of those seem realistic.

True, but the process could probably be streamlined quite a bit. As an
outsider, I do wonder why sometimes long time periods go by without any
action - but when then a deadline comes, the action is taken suddenly
without the involved parties having had the time to respond first (I mean
"again", of course they could have responded earlier. But you know how it
is in a busy world, and with PG being a "side-project").

That is unsatisfactory for the authors (who either rebase patches
needlessly, or find their patch not getting a review because it has
bitrotted again) or reviewers (because they find patches have bitrotted)
and everyone else (because even the simplest features or problem-solving
fixes can take easily a year or two, if they don't get rejected outright).

Maybe an idea would be to send automatic notifications about patches that
need rebasing, or upcoming deadlines like starting commit fests?

In addition, clear rules and well-formulated project goals would help a lot.

Also, the discussion about "needs of the project" vs. the "needs of the
users" [0] should be separate from the "what do we do about the lack of
manpower" discussion.

Because if you argue what you want with the what you have, you usually end
up with nothing in both departments.

Best regards,

Tels

[0]: E.g. how much is it worth to have a clean, pristine state of source
code vs. having some features and fixes for the most pressing items in a
somewhat timely manner? I do think that there should be at least different
levels between PG core and utilities like pgbench.