Re: pgdg-keyring (or apt-key) failure on fresh 9.6 install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moreno Andreo
Subject Re: pgdg-keyring (or apt-key) failure on fresh 9.6 install
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tim,

Il 29/05/2018 00:06, Tim Cross ha scritto:
> Moreno Andreo <moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it> writes:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I'm trying to install Postgresql 9.6 on a test machine in Google Cloud
>> Platform
>> After a fresh install with Debian 9 (just after the instance has been
>> created) I follow steps from here
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
>>
>> (instead of pg 10 I install pg 9.6)
>>
>> During the installation process i encounter the following strange
>> warnings that, even if that's a test machine, make me think twice before
>> going ahead.
>>
>> [...]
>> Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
>> Setting up pgdg-keyring (2017.3) ...
>> Removing apt.postgresql.org key from trusted.gpg: Warning: The postinst
>> maintainerscript of the package pgdg-keyring
>> Warning: seems to use apt-key (provided by apt) without depending on
>> gnupg or gnupg2.
>> Warning: This will BREAK in the future and should be fixed by the
>> package maintainer(s).
>> Note: Check first if apt-key functionality is needed at all - it
>> probably isn't!
>> OK
>> Setting up xml-core (0.17) ...
>> [...]
>>
>> I have to say that installation is successfully and database server goes
>> up and apparently with no problems at all.
>>
> This looks like a warning for the package maintainers regarding ensuring
> the package depends on either gnupg or gnupg2 and nothing you need to
> worry about unless you are building/maintaining deb packages for postgres.
Brilliant. That's what I needed to know. Just to avoid bitter surprises
in the future... :-)

> The Debian package manager, apt, uses gpg keys to verify the
> authenticity of packages it downloads. My guess is that previously, you
> only needed to ensure the package had a dependency on apt-key and now
> apt has/is changing such that you need to have an explicit dependency on
> either gnupg or gnupg2.

... so if I update/upgrade this instance in the future it will be
automatically fixed (and there shouldn't be issues), right?
Thanks a lot!

Moreno.-