Re: Ordering and unicode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guido Neitzer
Subject Re: Ordering and unicode
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11.11.2005, at 9:33 Uhr, Guido Neitzer wrote:

> Yes, as far as I know there is no other way of changing the locale
> settings. Hopefully you are on Linux! If you deploy on Mac OS X or
> *BSD it won't work even with a change.

I have to correct me: Hopefully you are not on Mac OS X. On Mac OS X,
locale support is not yet available for UTF-8, so you will not get
correct ordering. This is from a statement of an Apple engineer --
they have this on the to do list.

As the locale support in Mac OS X comes directly from BSD I assume,
it's not better there but I have tested this only on one BSD
plattform and looked through the provided locale files (in the given
cvs directories) for others where it seems similar.

This is not a problem of PostgreSQL, only a problem for PostgreSQL
when running on the "wrong" plattform.

cug

Attachment