Re: Questions for the COPY expert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Questions for the COPY expert
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com> forwards:
> --- Dawn Vu <dvu@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>> 1.  COPY [tablename] TO '/../datafile' seems to have a
>> limitation when datafile is bigger than 2G.  Is
>> this a postgresql limitation?

There is no such limitation in the Postgres sources.  However, if
you've built on a platform where 64-bit file offset support is not
default, you may well find that such a problem exists in the compiled
code.  What is your platform, anyway?

>> 2.  I use COPY to transfer data from one machine to
>> another
>> over the network using stdin and stdout without
>> having
>> to write data to intermediate file.

Should work fine.

>> The reason why I ask this question is because I
>> was
>> transferring 41M+ records and one hour into it,
>> the process
>> got a calloc error.  What seems to be the
>> limitation here?

Can't tell with so little information.  What platform?  What Postgres
version?  What is the table schema?

            regards, tom lane