Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
On Sat, 31 May 2008, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

Not if you use pg_clearxlogtail

This means we need to modify pg_standby to not check for filesize when
reading XLogs.

No, the idea is that you run the segments through pg_clearxlogtail | gzip, which then compresses lightly used segments massively because all the unused bytes are 0.  File comes out the same size at the other side, but you didn't ship a full 16MB if there was only a few KB used.

Got it. I remember reading about pg_clearxlogtail in these mailing lists; but somehow forgot how it actually worked!

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device