Re: Is this correct usage of generate_series? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: Is this correct usage of generate_series?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Hiroaki Nakamura <hnakamur@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, there.

These three queries below works as I expect, which is wonderful, but are these correct usages?
If these are intended features, I would like them to be documented at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/functions-srf.html

=> select generate_series(1, 3) as i;
---
 1
 2
 3
(3 rows)

=> select 'a' as a, generate_series(1, 3) as i;
 a | i
---+---
 a | 1
 a | 2
 a | 3
(3 rows)

=> select 'a' as a, i from generate_series(1, 3) i;
 a | i
---+---
 a | 1
 a | 2
 a | 3
(3 rows)

Here is an example using this technique, which shows column positions and names in
the specified index.

select attnum, attname
from pg_catalog.pg_attribute a
join (
    select
    indrelid, indkey[i] as pos
    from (
        select
        indrelid, indkey, generate_series(lb, ub) as i
        from (
            select indrelid, indkey, array_lower(indkey, 1) as lb, array_upper(indkey, 1) as ub
            from pg_catalog.pg_index
            where indexrelid = (
                select oid
                from pg_catalog.pg_class
                where relnamespace = (select oid from pg_catalog.pg_namespace where nspname = 'public')
                and relkind = 'i'
                and relname = '<your_index_name_here>'
            )
        ) x
    ) y
) z on a.attrelid = z.indrelid and a.attnum = z.pos;

All three of these are correct usages. This is an SRF (Set Returning Function), and Postgres allows you to use an SRF in the SELECT list. People have been using tricks similar to what you showed above, and it works great.

I have seen discussions in the past on the -hackers mailing list about deprecating the usage of SRFs in select list, but honestly, I don't see this usage being deprecated anytime soon; it's pretty useful, and I would call it an extension to the SQL language. And as long as it's nit buggy, and ALA it doesn't surprise people in a wrong way, I think such usage will remain.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com