Re: RECORD.* doesn't work in Pl/PGSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: RECORD.* doesn't work in Pl/PGSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:20 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> RECORD.* doesn't work in plpgsql, but NEW.* and OLD.* do in trigger
> functions created in plpgsql.
>
>     The example function process_emp_audit() on page
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpgsql-trigger.html , shows
> that we can use OLD.* and NEW.* as:
>
> INSERT INTO emp_audit SELECT 'D', now(), user, OLD.*;
>
>     but if I try to do the same thing in my own plpgsql function, it throws
> a runtime ERROR:
>
> create table t1( a int, b char );
>  create table t2( a int, b char );
>
> create or replace function log_rotate() returns void as $$
> declare
>   rec record;
> begin
>
>     for rec in delete from t2 returning * loop

<highlight>

>         insert into t1 select 1, rec.*;  -- throws ERROR:  record type has

<highlight>

> not been registered
>      end loop;
>
> end;
> $$ language 'plpgsql';

you can do this:

<snip>

 for rec in delete from t2 returning 1, * loop

Sorry... that 1 in SELECT 1, rec.* was a leftover from a trial workarond... please ignore that.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com