Re: Can Postgres 8.x start if some disks containing tablespaces are not mounted? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: Can Postgres 8.x start if some disks containing tablespaces are not mounted?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Morris Goldstein <morris.x.goldstein@gmail.com> wrote:
But that makes me wonder: what about this sequence of events:

- Postgres running normally on /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
- Update to table in /dev/sdb tablespace is committed but still exists in WAL.
- Postgres crashes (e.g. power failure).
- Postgres starts with /dev/sda only.
- Recovery needs to update table in /dev/sdb tablespace.

I assume bad things will happen in this case.

200% correct.

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com