A view needs at least one column whereas a table doesn't... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject A view needs at least one column whereas a table doesn't...
Date
List pgsql-general
The first SQL command throws an error whereas the second one runs fine:

edb=# create schema s1 authorization u1
edb-# create table t1() create view v1 as select * from t1;
ERROR:  view must have at least one column
edb=#
edb=# create schema s1 authorization u1
edb-# create table t1( c1 int ) create view v1 as select * from t1;
CREATE SCHEMA
edb=#

I know the ERROR seems obvious, but then if we allow zero-column tables, then why not zero-column views?

Or should the question be, why do we allow zero-column tables? (is inheritance the only reason?)

Can someone provide some explanation for this behaviour?

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com