Re: in failed sql transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: in failed sql transaction
Date
Re: in failed sql transaction  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-general

On 9/25/06, Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> wrote:
In this case
PostgreSQL does the right thing; something went wrong, queries after the
error may very well depend on that data - you can't rely on the current
state. And it's what the SQL specs say too, of course...

[1] I'm not trying to imply that what PostgreSQL does is (in general).
--

In an automated/programmatic access to the database, this might be desirable; but when there's someone manually doing some activity, it sure does get to one's nerves if the transaction till now was a long one. Instead, the operator would love to edit just that one query and fire again!

    Also, in automated/programmatic access, the programs are supposed to catch the error and rollback/correct on their own.

    I sure like PG's following of the standards, but usability should not be lost sight of.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com