Re: Running postgres with a different user/group - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Running postgres with a different user/group
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Gabriele,

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:29:25 +0100 (CET), Gabriele Bulfon
<gbulfon@sonicle.com> wrote:
> I need to run postgres under the same user/group, witout having to
create
> and use postgres user.

That's reasonable and perfectly doable with Postgres.

> But now I can't seem to connect to the database, because it says:
> FATAL:  role "postgres" does not exist
> How can I let postgres run under my own user instead of postgres?

That means that PostgreSQL is successfully running. Try and connect to the
database using a different user by passing the '-U' option to psql or by
setting the PGUSER environment variable.

> I can rebuild from sources, if needed.

I believe there is no need to do that.

Ciao,
Gabriele