Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 6, 2007, at 4:57 AM, NikhilS wrote:
> iv) Based on the PRIMARY, UNIQUE, REFERENCES information specified,
> pass it on to the children tables.

Since we want to eventually support 'global' indexes, I think we need
to be really careful here. There's actually 3 possible cases:

1) Index* should be global (spanning multiple tables)
2) Index* should be inherited by all partitions as they're created
3) Index* should exist only on the parent table

* Note that there's really no reason this has to be limit to indexes;
it could certainly apply to constraints, or even triggers.

IIRC, Oracle has a special syntax for global indexes; any other index
defined on a partitioned table is picked up *by newly created
partitions*. If you want to add indexes to existing partitions, you
have to explicitly add it to each partition.

I'd like to eventually see us supporting all 3 options. I'm not sure
how much we want to clutter the grammar, though.