Re: [HACKERS] Re: Freezing docs for v6.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Freezing docs for v6.5
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: Freezing docs for v6.5
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The two bugs I am really concerned about right now are the
>> inheritance-vs-GROUP-BY issue and the bogus-cache-entries-not-flushed-
>> at-xact-abort issue, because I am not sure I know enough to fix either
>> one right, and there is very little testing time left.  These are bad
>> bugs, but they exist in older releases too, so maybe we should just
>> leave 'em alone for 6.5?

> If the 'bugs' aren't something new we created since v6.4.2, leave them
> alone...would be nice to fix them, but nobody expected them to work to
> date, so leavign it for v6.6 (or even a v6.5.1) is acceptable...

I don't mind postponing the inheritance/GROUP-BY issue on that basis,
because it's an identifiable feature that doesn't work (and never has
worked).  I'm more troubled about the cache issue, because that could
give rise to hard-to-predict flaky behavior; we might waste a lot of
time chasing bug reports that ultimately reduce to that problem but
are not easily recognizable as such.

Bruce seemed to think that we could just flush the sys caches and
relation cache completely during xact abort.  This would probably be
less efficient than identifying the specific entries to get rid of, but
it would plug the hole in the dike well enough for 6.5.  Any objections
to doing that?