Re: Logical Replication WIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Logical Replication WIP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/08/16 09:59, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> Thank you for working on this!

Thanks for looking!

> I've applied these patches to current HEAD, but got the following error.
>
> libpqwalreceiver.c:48: error: redefinition of typedef ‘WalReceiverConnHandle’
> ../../../../src/include/replication/walreceiver.h:137: note: previous
> declaration of ‘WalReceiverConnHandle’ was here
> make[2]: *** [libpqwalreceiver.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [install-backend/replication/libpqwalreceiver-recurse] Error 2
> make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2
>
> After fixed this issue with attached patch, I used logical replication a little.
> Some random comments and questions.

Interesting, my compiler does have problem. Will investigate.

> The logical replication launcher process and the apply process are
> implemented as a bgworker. Isn't better to have them as an auxiliary
> process like checkpointer, wal writer?
> IMO the number of logical replication connections should not be
> limited by max_worker_processes.

What Craig said reflects my rationale for doing this pretty well.

> We need to set the publication up by at least CREATE PUBLICATION and
> ALTER PUBLICATION command.
> Can we make CREATE PUBLICATION possible to define tables as well?
> For example,
> CREATE PUBLICATION mypub [ TABLE table_name, ...] [WITH options]

Agreed, that just didn't make it to the first cut to -hackers. We've
been also thinking of having special ALL TABLES parameter there that
would encompass whole db.