Re: Handing off SLRU fsyncs to the checkpointer - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Handing off SLRU fsyncs to the checkpointer
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/25/20 9:09 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:53 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's a new version.  The final thing I'm contemplating before
>> pushing this is whether there may be hidden magical dependencies in
>> the order of operations in CheckPointGuts(), which I've changed
>> around.  Andres, any comments?
>
> I nagged Andres off-list and he opined that it might be better to
> reorder it a bit so that ProcessSyncRequests() comes after almost
> everything else, so that if we ever teach more things to offload their
> fsync work it'll be in the right order.  I reordered it like that; now
> only CheckPointTwoPhase() comes later, based on the comment that
> accompanies it.  In any case, we can always reconsider the ordering of
> this function in later commits as required.  Pushed like that.

Seems this commit left behind a couple unnecessary prototypes in a bunch
of header files. In particular, it removed these functions

- ShutdownCLOG();
- ShutdownCommitTs();
- ShutdownSUBTRANS();
- ShutdownMultiXact();

but we still have

$ git grep ShutdownCLOG
src/include/access/clog.h:extern void ShutdownCLOG(void);

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company