Re: options in conninfo - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: options in conninfo
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> Using libpq PQconnect function, what is the syntax for the 'options'
>>> entry in the conninfo?

>> I think it's stuck straight into the backend command line, so whatever
>> you read in the 'postgres' reference page applies.

> Oh, I thought it was for setting GUCs at connect time.  Is that
> possible? I thought it was in the new protocol, but I just cannot find
> the docs on it...

No, the 'options' thing is exceedingly ancient.  Try something likePGOPTIONS="-fn" psql mydb
or equivalentlyPGOPTIONS="-c enable-mergejoin=false" psql mydb

The GUC-at-connect-time feature is new in the V3 protocol.  Offhand I do
not think libpq exposes that to its users; it does use it internally
IIRC.