AW: Postgres Enhancement Request - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zwettler Markus (OIZ)
Subject AW: Postgres Enhancement Request
Date
List pgsql-general
We already did and use this at the moment. Unfortunately.

Some out-of-the-box applications can't use functions for user management.
Some users don't want "special" functions for user management.

Markus

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. März 2019 11:45
An: pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Betreff: Re: Postgres Enhancement Request

Zwettler Markus (OIZ) schrieb am 20.03.2019 um 11:10:
> CREATEROLE allows users to create new roles also having the CREATEDB privilege (at least in version 9.6).
>
> We want special users to be able to CREATEROLE without being able to CREATEDB (eg. when usermanagement is done by the
applicationitself).

> Please prevent users with CREATEROLE to create roles having CREATEDB (analogous SUPERUSER and REPLICATION).

I agree that would be a welcome enhancement.

As a workaround, you can create a function owned by a superuser (or any other user with the "createrole" privilege)
using"security definer" that provides a simple "create user" capability and makes sure that the created user does not
havethe createdb privilege.

The user/role that should be able to create new roles doesn't need the createrole privilege at all then.
All it needs is the execute privilege on the function.

Thomas