Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pollard, Mike
Subject Re: Different length lines in COPY CSV
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> What's been suggested in the past is some sort of standalone
> file-format-conversion utility, which could deal with this sort of
stuff
> without having to also deal with all the backend-internal
considerations
> that COPY must handle.  So (at least in theory) it'd be simpler and
more
> maintainable.  That still seems like a good idea to me --- in fact,
> given my druthers I would rather have seen CSV support done in such an
> external program.

Why not add hooks into COPY to call the user's massage functions?  That
way you don't have to read and write the data, then read it again to
load it into the database.

Mike Pollard
SUPRA Server SQL Engineering and Support
Cincom Systems, Inc.