Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 23.07.24 16:18, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 23, 2024, Diego Stammerjohann <diegostammer@gmail.com
> <mailto:diegostammer@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So, for me, it would be good to have in some place the information
>     that an IDENTITY column is not a GENERATED column. That's what
>     caused confusion to me.
>

> Yeah, 5.3 defines what generated columns are and does not include
> identity.  But nothing in Chapter 5 discusses identity which seems like
> a bug if Chapter 5 is intended be the official reference for concepts.

This has been changed in the documentation for PG 17.  There are now
separate sections for identity columns and generated columns:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/ddl-identity-columns.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/ddl-generated-columns.html