Re: What kind of locks does vacuum process hold on the db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nitin Verma
Subject Re: What kind of locks does vacuum process hold on the db?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Why are you doing FULL vacuums?  Is there some problem that regular vacuums
aren't solving?

Using dump/restore from a live DB to fresh DB, I get a DB that takes (49M +
12M - {I have two table spaces)) 61M of disk. Maximum size that I can grow by
the quota allocated to DB is 100M.

A regular vacuum doesn't stop the database growth, and DB grows beyond 100M.
Then we have to trigger a script that dump/restores on the live database. For
that we have a small outage (which is right now automated).

A full vacuum keeps the database below 100M and no outage.

> Yes, vacuum full takes a hard lock on a table.

That means Table Level AccessExclusiveLock, right?