Re: BUG #16644: null value for defaults in OLD variable for trigger - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16644: null value for defaults in OLD variable for trigger
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 5:53 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Moreover, it's more correct, even disregarding the problem
>> at hand, because the tlist isn't a perfectly accurate depiction of
>> the relation rowtype: ExecCleanTypeFromTL will not derive the correct
>> info for dropped columns.

> Hmm, I don't understand.  Isn't it the planner's job to make the
> targetlist correctly account for dropped columns; what
> expand_targetlist() does?

Yes, there are columns in the tlist to match them, but ExecCleanTypeFromTL
cannot mark those columns as "attisdropped".  The column data type
likely won't be right either.  The latter shouldn't matter, if the
column is being filled with a null ... but I'm a bit surprised that
we've gotten away this long with not being honest about attisdropped.

            regards, tom lane