Re: trouble with a join on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kirk Wythers
Subject Re: trouble with a join on OS X
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Shane Ambler wrote:

> just so you can look into it for your own curiosity ;-) - Mac OS X
> uses the startup disk for VM storage. You can find the files in - /
> var/vm
>
> You will find the swapfiles there, the size of the swapfiles
> progressively get larger - swapfile0 and 1 are 64M then 2 is 128M,
> 3 is 256M, 4 is 512M, 5 is 1G.... each is preallocated so it only
> gives you a rough idea of how much vm is being used. You would run
> out when your startup disk is full, though most apps probably hit
> the wall at 4G of vm unless you have built a 64bit version.
>
> The 4G (32bit) limit may be where you hit the out of memory errors
> (or is postgres get around that with it's caching?).

Any idea if postgres on OS X can truely access more that 4 gigs if
the 64 bit version is built? I have tried building the 64 bit version
of some other apps on OS X, and I have never been convinced that they
behaved as true 64 bit.