Re: PQresultMemorySize of ResultSet larger than expected - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQresultMemorySize of ResultSet larger than expected
Date
List pgsql-general
Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> writes:
> I've instrumented by libpq code, to show the byte size of the result-set.
> And I'm suprised that it's never smaller than 2,264 bytes, then the next
> size I see is 3,288, etc... Even when receiving no rows at all, in fact.

See PGRESULT_DATA_BLOCKSIZE and associated comments, starting about
line 90 in fe-exec.c.  I don't recall whether there was any specific
motivation for PGRESULT_DATA_BLOCKSIZE to be 2K rather than some
other value; but it wouldn't do for it to be very small.

            regards, tom lane