Re: Ragged CSV import - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Ragged CSV import
Date
Re: Ragged CSV import
Re: Ragged CSV import
Re: Ragged CSV import
List pgsql-hackers
> I have received a requirement for the ability to import ragged CSV
> files, i.e. files that contain variable numbers of columns per row. The
> requirement is that extra columns would be ignored and missing columns
> filled with NULL. The client wanting this has wrestled with some
> preprocessors to try to get what they want, but they would feel happier
> with this built in. This isn't the first time I have received this
> request since we implemented CSV import. People have complained on
> numerous occasions about the strictness of the import routines w.r.t.
> the number of columns.

Hmm.  Accepting too few columns and filling with nulls isn't any
different than what INSERT has always done.  But ignoring extra columns
seems like a different ballgame.  Can you talk your client out of that
one?  It just seems like a bad idea.

As for the "numerous occasions", maybe I've not been paying attention,
but I don't recall any ...