Re: does this look more like a possible bug or more like a possible hardware problem...? (long) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: does this look more like a possible bug or more like a possible hardware problem...? (long)
Date
List pgsql-general
Frank van Vugt <ftm.van.vugt@foxi.nl> writes:
> At one point, I arrived at the following situation:
> psql:/home/data/megadump.sql:5169: WARNING:  specified item offset is too
> large
> psql:/home/data/megadump.sql:5169: PANIC:  failed to add item to the page
> for "pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index"

> Trying the same script on a newly created database doesn't show the problem.
> However, I do still have the database that came up with this message, which
> is now failing a vacuum full verbose analyse with:

> ERROR:  catalog is missing 6 attribute(s) for relid 8349771

This is consistent with the idea that pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index is
corrupted.  I would suggest saving a copy of that file for postmortem
analysis and then trying to REINDEX pg_attribute.  (Depending on which
PG version you are running, that may require running a standalone
backend.  See the REINDEX man page.)

If REINDEX makes the problem go away, would you send me the corrupted
index file off-list?

            regards, tom lane