SOLVED: pgAdmin does respect pgpass.conf when opening .sql files - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Mark Zhitomirski
Subject SOLVED: pgAdmin does respect pgpass.conf when opening .sql files
Date
List pgadmin-support
Thanks, Dave,

the problem was caused by me choosing arbitrary name for "server" in Servers tree in Object browser - browser had no problem opening it so I concluded erroneously that host/IP is what matters in pgpass.conf.  Once  I've renamed "server" to 'localhost' problem has gone.

--MZ

From: Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
To: Mark Zhitomirski <zhmark@yahoo.com>
Cc: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Sent: Thu, October 22, 2009 12:28:11 PM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin does not respect pgpass.conf when opening .sql files?

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Mark Zhitomirski <zhmark@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> pgAdmin 1.10.0 on Windows XP
> PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on the same machine (localhost:5432)
>
> When I'm opening some .sql file (in Windows Explorer) pgAdmin starts and
> presents dialog "Connect to Server"
> with lines Server, Database and Username
> I fill those lines and press "OK"
> dialog asks for password. (Question 1 - Why? it has it saved already, most
> probably in pgpass.conf) Then "Query" window appears. I'm done working with
> that .sql file and close pgAdmin.

Are you sure the saved password has the same hostname/ip etc? (eg.
127.0.0.1 vs. 192.168.1.57 or whatever your primary interface uses).
FYI, the saved password is used when I test here - I don't get a
password prompt.

> When I'm opening another .sql file lines Server, Database and Username has
> my previous input. Password prompt happens again. Question 2 - is it
> possible to avoid this prompt?

Well, you could associate the file type with a script which launches
pgAdmin with '-qc <connect string> -f $1' (modified appropriately for
whatever operating system you use).

--
Dave Page
PGDay.EU 2009 Conference: http://2009.pgday.eu/start