Re: How to configure on a machine with a lot of memory? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: How to configure on a machine with a lot of memory?
Date
List pgsql-general
Start by looking here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-resource.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE-MEMORY

And if you search the lists you'll find whole discussions on this topic that have been repeated over and over.

Without generalising too much, for a dedicated machine you should be looking at setting effective_cache_size to approx
2/3of ram, shared_buffers to something like 10-15% of ram, and work_mem to something reasonable dependant on amount of
connectionsand types of queries, but remember to keep this small-ish, mine is set at 2mb.