Re: postgres eating CPU on HP9000 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
Subject Re: postgres eating CPU on HP9000
Date
List pgsql-performance
<snip>

We are experiencing exactly the same problem here, and we use 7.4 on
Linux/i386 SMP (2 processors). Our databases does even more access:
about 30k selects per hour, 10k updates and inserts per hour

Vacuum analyze is done daily.

We migrated our database to a new server. Initially, everything was fine,
and pretty fast. In a week or so, Vacuum performance is pretty slow. What
was done in 15 minutes now takes 2 hours. Postgres is consuming a lot of
CPU power and, when the system is in peak period, it's even worse.

Sure, we have a large database. 3 tables have more than 10M records, but
more or less suddenly, we're having a heavy performance prejudice.