Re: simple division - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: simple division
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/4/18 2:36 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:
> It worked, and I must have done something wrong. I'm probably not the only person who would find something like the
followinghelpful:

> division (integer division truncates the result)    10/3    3

The math types might take offense here, with the use of "truncates".
Integer division really ask how many times can one subtract the
numerator from the denominator without going negative (or how many times
does the numerator "go into" the denominator).

It may seem a nuisance, but int division is a useful construct and must
be supported (and be the default). (If you have 10 people to transport
in cars which hold four (all can drive) 10/4 = 3 ;) )