Re: Remote Connection Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remote Connection Help
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jason L. Amerson" <drjason@alphagenius.org> writes:
> I removed both version of PostgreSQL from Ubuntu. I had to delete some
> files manually. I used the repository to install PostgreSQL and then I
> configured it for remote access and now everything works great! I can
> log in from my Windows computers using pgAdmin. Thank you to you and
> everyone else who had the patience to work with me. I appreciate all of
> your help. I just have one last question. I see many tutorials on the
> Internet showing you how to setup iptables with PostgreSQL. Should I do
> this or not?

Usually the reason for messing with iptables is either

1. You have to, because your machine's default firewall rules aren't
letting in connections to Postgres.  You evidently haven't got that
problem.

2. You want to block off access to the database server from addresses
you don't trust.  Configuring pg_hba.conf is typically a sufficient
answer for that; but you might want an iptables filter too, either
because you're a belt-and-suspenders-too kind of guy, or because you're
afraid of DDoS storms with more connection requests/sec than Postgres
can reject easily.  I can't say whether either of those apply to you;
but I would note that the DDoS scenario only applies if your server
is reachable from the net-at-large, which is seldom a good idea in
the first place.

            regards, tom lane