Re: SSL Connection / Windows + Cygwin + PostgreSQL 7.4 Beta 1 question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SSL Connection / Windows + Cygwin + PostgreSQL 7.4 Beta 1 question
Date
Re: SSL Connection / Windows + Cygwin + PostgreSQL 7.4
Re: SSL Connection / Windows + Cygwin + PostgreSQL 7.4
List pgsql-hackers
Carlos Guzman Alvarez <carlosga@telefonica.net> writes:
> Now two questions about SSL Request message:

> 1. I'm getting as response an 'S' instead of an 'Y' is this ok ??

Doesn't sound right.  A recent (7.1 or later) postmaster will always
return 'Y' or 'N'.  Older postmasters will not recognize the SSLRequest
code and will return an 'E' message bleating about bad protocol number.

> 2. In which format are sent the error messages for an SSL Request ?? (I
> ask this because i think they are sent in 2.0 format i'm rigth??)

Always 2.0, because only a pre-7.1 postmaster will return an error.
It's not clear to me that you really need to bother to parse the
message, though.  The only thing you can do is close the connection
and try again non-SSL (or fail if you don't want non-SSL).