Re: pgsql: Add VACUUM instrumentation for scanned pages, relfrozenxid. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql: Add VACUUM instrumentation for scanned pages, relfrozenxid.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 12.02.22 01:49, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Add VACUUM instrumentation for scanned pages, relfrozenxid.

This patch introduced the log messages

     "new relfrozenxid: %u, which is %d XIDs ahead of previous value\n"

     "new relminmxid: %u, which is %d MXIDs ahead of previous value\n"

According to the surrounding math in each case, this means that the new
%u is larger by %d than the previous value.

The use of "ahead of" had confused me here, since I needed to think
three times about which direction is meant.  I suppose it's technically
correct, but perhaps there is a clearer term?