Re: ALTER SYSTEM vs symlink - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM vs symlink
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that is the sensible way to deal with this and any other such
>> parameters.  We already have a way to disallow setting of individual
>> parameters (GUC_DISALLOW_IN_AUTO_FILE) via Alter System.
>> Currently we disallow to set data_directory via this mechanism and I think
>> we can do the same for other parameters if required.  Do you think we
>> should do some investigation/analysis about un-safe parameters rather
>> then doing it in retail fashion?

> -1.

> This was discussed before, and I feel about it now the same way I felt
> about it then: disallowing all GUCs that could potentially cause the
> server not to start would make ALTER SYSTEM a whole lot less useful.

I definitely agree that unconditionally disallowing "unsafe" parameters
in ALTER SYSTEM would be counterproductive.  data_directory is disallowed
there only because it's nonsensical: you can't even find the auto.conf
file until you've settled on the data_directory.

However, where I thought this discussion was going was to allow admins
to selectively disable particular parameters from being set that way.
Whether a particular installation finds locking down
shared_preload_libraries to be more useful than allowing it to be set
doesn't seem to me to be a one-size-fits-all question.  So at least in
principle I'd be okay with a feature to control that.  But maybe it's
sufficient to say "you can use sepgsql to restrict that".  Not every
feature needs to be in core.