Re: patroni debian bullseye package file inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: patroni debian bullseye package file inconsistency
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Hi,

(I'm not on pgsql-pkg-debian, somebody forwarded me your mail)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 02:37:34PM +0300, Kirill wrote:
> I am using that package:
>
> $ apt-cache policy patroni
> patroni:
>   Installed: 2.1.3-2.pgdg110+1
>   Candidate: 2.1.3-2.pgdg110+1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.1.3-2.pgdg110+1 500
>         500 http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt bullseye-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> During the usage of patroni I got an error:
>
> $ patroni --validate-config /etc/patroni-server/config.yaml

[...]

> Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/patroni/validator.py", line 244, in iter_dict
>     validator = self.validator[key]._schema[d]
> KeyError: 'etcd3'

Apparently, running --validate-config on a config using etc3 has been
broken for quite a long time, and nobody noticed.

> I started to investigate and found that actual file:
>
> $ dpkg -S  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/patroni/validator.py
> patroni: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/patroni/validator.py
>
> is different from source file:

This is because there is a Debian patch that reverts an upstream change
that adds some RAFT tests which (as Debian does not ship RAFT yet) when
run would make the testsuite fail:

https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/patroni/-/blob/debian/2.1.3-2/debian/patches/regression_tests_disable_raft_tests.py

However, that upstream change we reverted also added etcd3 validation,
which is what is now missing for you.

I've reworked the patch[1] so that only the RAFT-specifc changes remain,
and in my testing the above traceback is gone.

I will upload it once CI passes.

Michael

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/patroni/-/commit/538cc5f0f9d6bd1704513f7280a0fd35cd193edf