Re: More FK patches - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More FK patches
Date
List pgsql-patches
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> This patch should help fix cases with two separate fk constraints
> in a row that happen to reference the same pk constraint with
> an on update cascade and similar cases.

Aren't those NOT EXISTS clauses going to cause a humungous
performance hit?

Seems it would be better for the RI triggers to do more in C code
and stop expecting the query engine to handle these things.  I've
always thought that ReferentialIntegritySnapshotOverride was an
absolutely unacceptable kluge, not least because it's turned on
*before* we do parsing/planning of the RI queries, and so is
likely to screw up system catalog checks.

            regards, tom lane