Re: BUG #5559: Full SSL verification fails when hostaddr provided - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5559: Full SSL verification fails when hostaddr provided
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Reviewing what's currently on developer.postgresql.org, here's what I
> think the docs would read and what the associated code behavior should
> be (which I think it's pretty close to already, but perhaps not
> entirely..):

I think this is overcomplicated and probably wrong in detail.

I suggest that we document hostaddr as being an auxiliary field that is
not intended to be the primary source of the host name, but merely saves
libpq from having to do a forward DNS lookup.  In some cases it will
work to supply hostaddr without host, but in others it won't.  We should
also state that supplying it does not guarantee no DNS lookups occur,
because these external auth libraries will do one anyway.

            regards, tom lane