Re: Does psql use nested transactions? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Does psql use nested transactions?
Date
Re: Does psql use nested transactions?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Added to TODO list:

> * Add an option to automatically use savepoints for each statement in a
>   multi-statement transaction.

>   When enabled, this would allow errors in multi-statement transactions
>   to be automatically ignored.

Note that whoever implements this had better be mindful of the bad
experience we had with autocommit.  If there is any way that this
behavior could be turned on underneath an application/script without
the app knowing about it, this would be spectacularly dangerous.

Like I said, my preference would be that it couldn't be turned on at all
except when psql's input is interactive.