Re: script binaries renaming - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: script binaries renaming
Date
Re: script binaries renaming  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-patches
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> This is almost as bad as Magnus agreeing with JD (!), but I agree with
>> Peter :-). After years of typing the current names, changing them does
>> seem somewhat annoying. Worse yet, pg_* is just awkward to type.

> But these utilities are mostly using in scripts -> one type, multi use.

According to whom?  The ones that are really at issue I think are
createuser/createlang/dropuser/droplang, and those seem mainly intended
for interactive use.  In a script you might as well use psql -c.

The ones that have "db" in the name do not seem to me to need renaming.
While maybe not obviously connected to Postgres, the chance of a
collision with some other project is low.

One that I'd personally vote to remove completely is "ipcclean".
It's always been a crude, incomplete hack anyway, and the reason
no one has bothered to improve it is that there is next to no use
for it anymore.

            regards, tom lane