Re : reporting tools - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurent ROCHE
Subject Re : reporting tools
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

For my projet (J2EE application), I have been using Jasper and iReport.
That works quite well although so far we have not done stuff really complicated.

I am hoping that the "Power" end users will be able to write the reports themselves. "Power" users because although
iReportsis wysiwyg tool, it's not so easy that everybody can use it.
For that, we will need to provide them with a data source so they can play around and see results while designing the
reports.

In the J2EE code, Jasper will use a JAVA list (populated from a PG 8.x database) as the data source.
iReport can easily use a CSV file (exporting the Java list to CSV is easy too) and that's convenient for the user.
Howeverwhen there's master -detail report (i.e. a report and sub-reports) like with invoices (master table) and
invoices_lines(details table) : that becomes more complicated.
So far, we haven't found an easily solution (we have not searched much though).

Here is my experience, in a few words : works quite well, setting up and running needs a couple of days, not so easy to
useby end users. Once used to it and set up, it will give great results within a few minutes.

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy