Re: Postgresql 9.0.1 Corrupted - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Postgresql 9.0.1 Corrupted
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jul 17, 2011, at 9:36 PM, AI Rumman wrote:

> Database Version: Postgresql 9.0.1
> OS: Linux rumman.dhaka 2.6.18-92.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 19:55:54 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> Installed from: Source configure
> Problem:
> When I try to connect to postgres, I got -
> psql: FATAL:  role "postgres" does not exist
> In fact, it seems to me that no role exists.
>
> Problem Cause:
>
> For some reason, filesystem of my server was corrupted. Our system admin used CENTOS repair tools and it damaged the
databasefiles.
> It created some of the directory as files. These are -
>  - pg_notify
>  - pg_xlog
> Some files were not readable during start. These were - pg_internal and pg_control in the global directory.
>
> At first, when I tried to start the server after CENTOS repair, I got the error message -
> DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 0, but the server was compiled with
PG_CONTROL_VERSION903.

Your data is probably gone. Check when you last made backups.

But before you do *anything* else, create a full filesystem level copy of the entire database directory, so that when
youend up breaking things further by trying to recover it you'll have a "clean" copy of the corrupted database to start
overfrom.

Cheers,
  Steve