Re: current is broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: current is broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Ooops.  I guess libpq needs to supply a copy of this function?

> Simply copying the function won't work since the way to know what
> encoding is used for this session is different between backend and
> frontend.

Good point --- in fact, the encoding itself might be different between
the backend and frontend.  That seems to imply that "truncate to
NAMEDATALEN bytes" could yield different results in the frontend than
what the backend would get.

> Even better idea would be creating a new function that returns the
> actual rule name (after being shorten) from given view name. I don't
> think it's a good idea to have codes to get an actual rule name in two
> separate places.

Given the above point about encoding differences, I think we *must*
do the truncation in the backend ...