Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it is. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-reset.html
>> DISCARD would be better.

> Well, personally, I'm in favor of either TRUNCATE or ALTER
> MATERIALIZED VIEW ... DISCARD.  I think it's a dangerous precedent to
> suppose that we're going to start using DISCARD for things that have
> nothing to do with the existing meanings of DISCARD.

Yeah, there's actually a serious problem with choosing DISCARD:
surely we are not going to include "trash all MVs" in the behavior
of DISCARD ALL.  So unless you would like to say that DISCARD ALL
doesn't mean what it appears to mean, we can't make MV reset be
one of the sub-flavors of DISCARD.

So that seems to leave us with either TRUNCATE or an ALTER sub-syntax.
Personally I'd prefer the latter but it's surely debatable.