Problem starting the server with Mac OSX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Myshkin LeVine
Subject Problem starting the server with Mac OSX
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
    I have a problem starting the server on Mac OSX 10.3.9. I compiled
v8.2.5 from source. The compilation, regression testing, and
installation all went smoothly with no errors. I installed PostgreSQL
in the default location and created a new user account named postgres.
I ran initdb which ended successfully. When I try to start the server I
get this error message: 'FATAL:  could not open lock file
"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied' I have checked the
mailing-list archives and I see others have had the same problem, but
no solution for my case. The file ".s.PGSQL.5432.lock" does not exist
already in the /tmp directory. The server will start however in
single-user mode using the --single switch to the postgres command,
giving me this: "PostgreSQL stand-alone backend 8.2.5
backend>" Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how to fix this?
                Sincerely,
                            Myshkin LeVine