Re: Reserve prefixes for loaded libraries proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: Reserve prefixes for loaded libraries proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/30/21 17:54, Florin Irion wrote:

> We could also help users get a warning if they set a parameter with the
> `SET` command.

This is funny. For years I have been so confident I knew how this worked
that I, obviously, hadn't tried it. :)

My first setting of a made-up variable gets no warning, as I already expected:

postgres=# set plpgsql.no_such_setting = false;
SET

Then as soon as I do the first thing in the session involving plpgsql,
I get the warning for that one:

postgres=# do language plpgsql
postgres-# 'begin delete from pg_class where false; end';
WARNING:  unrecognized configuration parameter "plpgsql.no_such_setting"
DO

But then, I have always assumed I would get warnings thereafter:

postgres=# set plpgsql.not_this_one_neither = false;
SET

But no!

So I am in favor of patching this.

Regards,