Re: MySQL to Postgres question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James B. Byrne
Subject Re: MySQL to Postgres question
Date
Re: MySQL to Postgres question  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

On: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:53:36 -0500, "Adam Rich" <adam.r@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> > I am not sure about 8.3 but certainly earlier releases of PostgreSQL
> > would have specific dependency issues when a sequence was applied to
> > a column after the fact, versus using the serial or bigserial
> > psuedo-types.

> I'd like to point out that using pg_dump does in fact apply sequences
> to columns after the fact. (at least in 8.3)  Columns lose their
> "serial" designation after each backup/restore (and therefore during
> version upgrades)

Can someone expand upon this observation with respect to tables with surrogate
primary keys generated by a sequence?  I am not at all clear as to the
implications of this statement but it caused me to wonder if the primary key
values of such tables could be changed simply by dumping and reloading the
database as in an upgrade between versions. Surely this is not the case?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3